Braised Duck in Pickled Cucumber Cups
This is a canape version of the Duck with Hoi Sin Sauce in Pancakes often found in your local Chinese restaurant. Created as part of an ‘Asian Inspired’ Afternoon Tea. I’ve previously used a similar recipe for Braised Duck with Spring Onion Pancakes, it’s a healthier version of crispy roast duck as it does not involve deep frying. This canape version is a little fiddly but looks impressive.
- 2 duck leg quarters
- 4 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 100 ml dark soy sauce
- 50 ml of Chinese rice wine
- 100 ml water
- 2 tbs five spice powder
- 2 tbs cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 4 inch piece of root ginger smashed up
- Large cucumber
- 100 ml rice wine vinegar
- 100 ml water
- 2 tsp sugar
- Hoi Sin sauce (to serve)
- Spring onions, julienne (to serve)
- Duck: In a large sauce pan, put all the ingredients for the duck together and bring to a slow boil. Simmer the duck legs for 10 minutes with the lid on the sauce pan and then leave to braise in the pan. The residual heat will finish off the cooking so don’t take off the lid! Once completely cooled, leave to one side until needed (Do it the day before and leave the whole pot in the fridge so the meat takes on even more of the lovely flavors)
- Cucumber: Peel the cucumber and cut into two inch cups. Scoop out most of the watery seeds in the middle but leave the bottom intact so the filling doesn’t fall through. Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a large shallow dish and put the prepared cucumber cups in to pickle. Leave for up to 1 hour, but longer if you want it to be really sharp!
- To assemble:
- Take the duck out of the braising liquid and shred the duck meat finely.
- Pat the cucumber cups dry and assemble onto a serving dish.
- Spread a thin layer of Hoi Sin Sauce in the bottom of each cucumber cup, then stuff a big pinch of duck into the cup.
- Finish off with a small dollop of Hoi Sin sauce and the spring onions.
As mentioned above, I served these Braised Duck in Cucumber Cups as part of an ‘Asian Inspired’ Afternoon Tea where the traditional sandwiches were replaced with Asian style savory canapes. I also made ‘Smoke Salmon and Avocado Sushi’, ‘Thai Prawn Noodle Salad’ and ‘Chicken and Shitake Mushroom Potstickers’. Recipes to follow shortly! 🙂